CHECK YOUR ANSWERS!
1. Work is a quantity that measures a force acting on an
object over a distance.
2. Work equation: W = Fd
W represents work
F represents force
d represents distance
3. The SI unit for work is the joule.
4. The SI unit for force is the newton.
5. The SI unit for force is the meter.
6. Atlas is not doing any work! While he is applying a force
of 6.02 x 1024 N to the earth, he is not moving it any
distance. So if the known values are put into an equation:
W = (6.02 x 1024 N) (0m) = 0 joules
Atlas is not doing any work in the scientific sense.